How do you treat a bruise? Get insights on how to get rid of a bruise by using various treatments and home remedies. You will also get enlightened on the various prevention measures of a bruise.
How to Get Rid of a Bruise
A bruise is formed when the small blood capillaries near your skin leaks into the underneath tissues of your skin. It happen after the skin is traumatized by an injury from bumping into an object or a fall. A bruise may also result from other internal body conditions among other causes.
It normally forms a black-blue mark on your skin that fades away within a period of two weeks. However, you can speed up the fading process by applying the following treatment:
- Apply a cool compress
Applying a cool compress on the affected areas helps to decrease the enlargement of the bruise as well as alleviating the pain. This treatment helps to decrease the spread of the bruise. Immediately you realize a formation of this condition, fill a plastic bag with ice chips or you can also find a frozen vegetable bag of peas and corn and place over the affected part.
Alternatively, you can also wrap an ice cube into a clean towel and place over the bruised area. Leave the ice on the area for 15 minutes and repeat the procedure after every hour until the discomfort eases. Do not over-chill the skin as it may cause frostbite.
- Apply a warm compress
Warm compress the area after a few days of bruising, warmth is important in increasing the blood flow on the area to speed up the healing process. It also helps in decreasing swelling on the affected areas.
To apply this remedy, you simply deep a clean wash cloth or towel in warm water. Wring it to get rid of excess water and place it over the affected areas until it cools. Repeat the procedure for several times a day until your condition improves.
- Elevating the affected area
Elevation is effective on how to get rid of a bruise quickly on the leg. It helps to decrease the flow of blood on the affected area with the aid of gravity. This treatment helps to reduce discoloration and spreading of the bruise.
This treatment works best especially when the bruising has occurred on the leg, you will be required to rest on a coach and lift the affected leg slightly above the heart by the help of a pillow. Bruises on other parts of your body such as hands can also be elevated easily.
- Take over-the-counter painkillers
A bruise that result from intense injuries may cause a lot of paining. Taking painkiller may help to relieve the paining and other discomforts on the area. Avoid taking aspirin, it may worsen your condition as it aid in thinning of the blood. You may take acetaminophen in the correct dosage as directed by the pharmacist.
- Take enough rest
Having a rest helps in decreasing the flow of blood to the bruised area. It is important on how to get rid of a bruise as it helps to reduce swelling and the spread of bruising. Taking off duties also helps to avoid other injuries that may cause bruising easily. You may do something that does not require much physical activity such as listening to music, watching movie or reading a book.
There are a number of things you can do to reduce bruising after an injury. You may treat your bruise while at home or you may also visit your doctor for treatment especially if the bruising is a companied with excessive pain and swelling. Some of the treatments includes the following:
- Reduce pain, bruising and swelling
Apply an ice immediately to reduce the pain, swelling and stiffness. Apply this treatment for 20 minutes twice daily until the discomfort is relieved. For the first 48 hours after bruising, avoid things and activities that may worsen your condition such as hot tubs, hot shower and alcoholic drinks. Having enough rest is also important to avoid further development of a bruise.
Elevate the affected area to reduce blood flow. This treatment is effective on how to get rid of a bruise by preventing the bruise from spreading. After 48 hours, you may apply a warm compress to reduce stiffness and to initiate the healing process.
- Treat the symptom
A bruise may cause inflammations, swelling and stiffness. Taking over-the-counter pain relievers may help to reduce such symptoms. Take acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen. Avoid aspirin as it may worsen your condition.
- Visiting your doctor for treatment
You may be required to consult your doctor for treatment if you experience the following:
- A very painful swelling that may spread over a large area
- If you are experiencing abnormal bleeding from other parts of your body such as nose, gums or presence of blood in urine and stool
- Frequent, large and painful bruises that may develop on the face, back, arms, legs and other parts of your body for no reason
- When the bruise fails to heal after 2-3 weeks or if you experience pain for more than two days after a minor bruising
- A lump that may develop on the bruised area
- If you have a family history of easy bruising
Home Remedies for Bruises
Bruises that results from minor injuries may heal on their own within a period of two weeks. However, there are various home remedy treatments that are effective on how to get rid of a bruise fast as they help to reduce the pain, swelling and the healing process. They include the following:
- Apply arnica gel or ointment
Arnica herb was used from traditionally in treating bruises. It contain properties that helps in reducing pain, swelling and other discomforts caused by a bruise. Different medical scientist recommends the use of this remedy for bruises. Obtain an ointment that contain arnica and apply over the affected area twice a day until your condition improves.
- Use parsley leaves
Parsley leaves are also among the effective home remedies for bruises on arms and other parts. It is believed to reduce inflammation, swelling and fading away the discoloration. To use this remedy, take a handful of fresh parsley leaves and crush them to make a paste. Spread the paste over the affected area and cover it with an elastic bandage. Change the paste daily until the discoloration fades away.
- Take pineapples
Consuming pineapples is also the best remedy in treating bruises. Pineapples contains digestive enzymes known as bromelain that helps in reducing swelling and other discomforts after an injury. Bromelain also helps in breaking out blood clots. This is important in treating a bruise and preventing further blood clotting.
- Rub the affected area with vinegar and warm water
A mixture of vinegar with water is also effective on how to get rid of a bruise overnight. It increases the circulation of blood near the skin surface which is important in dissipating the blood that may form a clot. You simply rub on the affected area twice daily until the discoloration fades away.
- Use onion
Onions contains anti-inflammatory properties that helps in alleviating the pain and swelling. You simply require an onion, cut it into small slices and place them over a bruise. You may use an elastic bandage to hold them on the affected area for 30 minutes.
- Take vitamin C and K
Vitamin C play a very big role in your body, they take part in formation of collagen that provides defense to the blood vessels that are found on your skin. Taking such vitamins helps in treating and preventing bruised toenail and other unexplained bruising.
You may take vitamin C supplements, consider to take 500mgs of vitamin C pills or you may eat fruits and vegetables that are rich in vitamin C. On the other hand, vitamin K helps in fading away the bruises. You may apply a cream that contain vitamin K 3-4 times a day until your condition improves.
How to Prevent Bruises
A bruise may develop when the blood vessels under your skin breaks and leak in to internal tissues. This is a condition that occurs after bumping into an object, surgery, cosmetic treatments or as a result of internal body conditions.
However, there are various measures and steps you can take to prevent or reduce the appearance of the bruise. Some of the measures are also effective on how to get rid of a bruise before it is formed. They include the following:
- Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and other food staffs that are rich in vitamin C, K or B12 or folic acid. Deficiency of the above vitamins may lead to bruising since they can affect blood clotting. Apart from fruits and vegetables, you are supposed to include milk, cheese, yogurt, whole grains and cereals in your diet.
- Avoid dietary supplements that may increase bruising. Most of the blood thinning medicines may also cause this condition. If you are prone to bruises, avoid taking fish oil, garlic, ginger, and vitamin E and ginkgo biloba supplements.
- Avoid taking certain pain relievers such as aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or anticoagulants. In case you have to take them, visit your doctor to monitor your dosage.
- A void excessive intake of alcohol. Excessive intake of alcohol may cause blood thinning especially when you are taking NSAIDS.
- Increase your intake of proteins. Proteins are effective on how to prevent bruises from forming by strengthening blood vessels walls. Take enough fish, poultry, eggs, meat and nuts.
- Guard yourself against injuries by wearing protective gear when engaging in sporting activities and rigorous exercises. They prevent bruises that results from a fall or hit.
More sources and references: